Detroit, Michigan Fun Facts is an American city with a rich history and a bright future. Many people already know that Detroit is home to the American automotive industry. (It holds the headquarters for Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors). Did you also know that Detroit was the first city to pave a concrete road?
Here are more interesting Detroit Fun Facts:
- Living in Detroit has lots of perks, including lower than average gasoline costs. That’s right – the average cost of gasoline in Detroit is lower than the national average.
- Gasoline isn’t the only prevalent gas in Detroit. 80% of households in Detroit use natural gas to stay warm in the winter.
- Detroit is home to the only floating post office in the United States. The J.W. Westcott II has been a fully-operational U.S. Post Office since 1948. It even has its own zip code: 48222.
- In 1879, Detroit residents were the first telephone customers in America to be assigned individual phone numbers.
- The salt mines that lie beneath Detroit could flavor our food for over 70,000 years.
- Detroit is the home of Motown Records, founded by Barry Gordy in 1957.